About sight: Karaulnaya Gora (hill)

You can have a good view of Karaulnaya Gora from all places of the historical center of Krasnoyarsk. The Chapel of Paraskeva Pyatnitsa, which is considered a symbol of the city, is on Karaulnaya Gora. It is this chapel that decorates 10-rouble notes.

In 1628 the Cossacks built the ostrog Krasny Yar on Karaulnaya Gora (then called Kum-Tigei). That marked a new stage in the conquest of Siberia by the Cossacks. A cross commemorating the final victory over the Yenisei Kirghizs and Tatars was installed on the hill in 1667.

A small wooden chapel was built on the hill in 1805. It was replaced by the stone Chapel of Paraskeva Pyatnitsa in 1855. Along with the Communal Bridge the chapel is often called a symbol of Krasnoyarsk. All guests of the city and newlyweds are brought there. 

From the lookout at the Chapel of Paraskeva one can have a view on the entire center of Krasnoyarsk, which is at the foot of Karaulnaya Gora and the Yenisei. Near it is a gun firing a shot every 12 hours.

Thanks for adding of this publicaton to:

URL Photo:

URL Gallery:

URL Place:

HTML code: 

BBCode: