About sight: The Church of the Saviour on the Seni

The one-domed Church of Savior on the Seni (formerly, the Church of Christ Not Made by Hand) was the house church of Rostov metropolitans at the Pontifical Court. The church intended by Iona Sysoyevich as a ceremonial church was built in 1675.

The Church of Savior on the Seni is at some distance from Samuel's Building and the White Chamber. As it was actually a personal church of Iona Sysoyevich, the metropolitan arranged it according to his own taste. A choir occupied a larger part of the church. A big arch supported by golden pillars was erected in the church. All the inner space of the church was covered by frescoes.

The church also had a very big, two-floor podklet. It was the place where the metropolitan treasury was kept. 

Thanks for adding of this publicaton to:

URL Photo:

URL Gallery:

URL Place:

HTML code: 

BBCode: