About sight: Yusupov Palace

The large-scale development of the Arkhangelskoye estate began at the beginning of 18 century, when it came into possession of the Golitsyn. They had just enough time to build the first wooden palace. In the reign of Anna Ivanovna Dmitry Golitsyn was accused of high treason and sentenced to death. He died in Schlusselburg fortress in 1737 and all his estate were confiscated.

The Arkhangelskoye estate fell into decay and the palace become dilapidated. Under Catherine II, in 1773, the Golitsyn got back to the court and were returned all their estate including Arkhangelskoye. 

During the reconstruction of the palace in 2003 there was discovered a plate according to which the new palace was laid down at Arkhangelskoye in 1784 by Nikolai Golitsyn. The original palace was designed by a French architect Charles de Herne in the style of strict classicism. And it is this palace that survived to our days.

In 1810 Arkhangelskoye was acquired by Prince Yusupov who wanted to turn it into the near Moscow Versailles. However, his plans were disturbed by the war of 1812, as a result of which the park and especially the palace were severely damaged. But after the war Yusupov began to build there a luxurious estate worthy of his art collections.

The palace was designed in the common style of the estates of that period. It has a porch with four Ionic columns and a triangular gable and risalits. 

The Oval Hall is the main and the largest room of the Grand Palace. It has sixteen golden yellow Corinthian columns. The entry arch of the front court appeared in 1817. It was erected in honor of the victory over Napoleon. In the center of the dome is a panel depicting Cupid and Psyche. It was intended for balls, concerts and ceremonial receptions. The serf orchestra was on the high choir hidden by a light balustrade. 

Thanks for adding of this publicaton to:
TOP - 3 Attractions Environs of Moscow

URL Photo:

URL Gallery:

URL Place:

HTML code: 

BBCode: