Since the period of the Holy Roman Empire the term reichstag was used to denote the supreme deliberative assembly, a precursor of the today parliament. At first, the Reichstag occupied a small building. By the end of the 19 century a larger and more impressive building was required for the sessions of the Reichstag. So, in 1884 it was decided to erect the Reichstag building in the historic center of the city, on the bank of the Spree
Before the World War II in the areas adjoining the Potsdam Square there were a great number of governmental institutions, including two Reich Chancellery buildings, as well as the Bunker of Hitler. After the Berlin Wall was pulled down there began the large redevelopment activities, and as a result beautiful skyscrapers appeared in the Potsdam Square
The Berlin museum complex in may be considered one of the most important world cultural center. It was laid down as far back as in 1810, when William III wanted to open for the public the royal art collections. During 1822-1830 a magnificent building of the Altes (Old) Museum was erected. Its facade was decorated by the impressive portico with 18 Ionic columns of black color – their beauty is very severe
The king Frederick commissioned the Charlottenburg Palace for his wife Sophie-Charlotte in 1695. The construction continued for over a century, and as a result, instead of a small summer residence there was built one of the most beautiful baroque palaces in Berlin
Formerly Berlin had 18 gates, of which only the Brandenburg Gate survived and became a landmark of Berlin. It was built in 1789 by Carl Langhans, who attempted to copy the gateway of the Acropolis in Athens
The Berliner Dom is the largest cathedral of the Lutheran Church of Prussia built in front of the Altes (Old) Museum of the Museum Island in 1894-1905. There are always a lot of people at the Lustgarten (Pleasure Garden), a green sward between the Altes (Old) Museum and the Berliner Dom. After the consecration the Berliner Dom also became the burial place of the Prussian House of Hohenzollern
For a long time the Alexanderplatz, the largest square in Berlin, was one of the main landmarks of the East Berlin in the period of GDR. Since the 18 century it had been a common market square, and it was so called in honor of the Russian Emperor Alexander I, who visited Berlin in 1805
Nearly all guests of Berlin have ever been to this boulevard, as it stretches along the most beautiful sights of the city, and the boulevard itself is also very beautiful. It is often called the «shop window of Berlin»
Thanks for adding of this publicaton to:
If you find a mistake on this page, select it and press Ctrl + Enter

URL Photo:

URL Gallery:

URL Place:

HTML code: 

BBCode: