About sight: Place de la Concorde

The square appeared in Paris in the reign of Louis XV, and then it was beyond the limits of the city. Later there were executed the enemies of the revolution on the square. It was named the Square of Revolution. During the Restoration it was renamed Place de la Concorde.

Now there is an obelisk from Luxor in the center of the square, presented by Mohammed Ali in 1833. It is over 3500 years old. Architect Hittorf installed two fountains on both sides of the obelisk. The height of each fountain is 9 meters.

On the northern side of the square there is the building of Crillon, which is one of the most luxurious hotels of Paris, as well as headquarters of the Ministry of Navy. The design of both the buildings is similar to that of the Louvre.

Thanks for adding of this publicaton to:

URL Photo:

URL Gallery:

URL Place:

HTML code: 

BBCode: