About sight: Les Invalides

On the strip of land stretching from Place Vauban to the Seine Embankment there is a huge complex, called Les Invalides. It was built in 1671-1676 for veterans of different wars. And already 30 years later there lived over 4 000 former soldiers and officers. It was just there that Napoleon awarded the officers.

The complex of residential buildings is dominated by the gigantic cathedral, dating back to 1706. There located the tomb of Napoleon. His remains were brought from St. Helene Island and buried in 6 coffins (made of tin, mahogany, lead, oak and ebony) placed in large sarcophagus surrounded by 12 statues of winged Victory.

Thanks for adding of this publicaton to:
TOP - 3 Sights France

URL Photo:

URL Gallery:

URL Place:

HTML code: 

BBCode: