Medinet Habu (Mortuary Temple of Ramesses III)
About sight: Medinet Habu (Mortuary Temple of Ramesses III)

The mortuary temple built by the Pharaoh Ramesses III in honour of his victory over the «peoples who have come from beyond the sea» in 1173 B.C.

Of the strong wall that once encircled the temple there remained only the earth mound, al-though the temple itself is in good condition. On the first, the largest pylon the ode is en-graved glorifying the victories of the Pharaoh, and the Pharaoh himself is depicted bending over the defeated enemies and holding them by the hair.

On the sides of the first court the statues of Pharaoh are standing with arms crossed, in Osiris position, on the second pylon almost the entire wall is taken up by the story of the war. Having passed through the second pylon, one can reach the hypostyle hall, which, alas, didn’t survive. There remained nothing but column bases, giving some idea about the scale of the temple. It would be very curious to look around the adjacent rooms, where there survived most interesting frescoes of gods and Pharaohs. Many of them still retain paint.

Thanks for adding of this publicaton to:
TOP - 3 Sights Egypt

URL Photo:

URL Gallery:

URL Place:

HTML code: 

BBCode: