About sight: Trinity Convent

The relics of St. Peter and Fevronya are kept in the small mo-nastery located in the center of the ancient city of Murom. In Russia they were always consi-dered to be the patrons of Family and Marriage. The day of Peter and Fevronya, July, 8th, was celebrated as the Day of the Beloved in Russia until 1917 (then St. Valentine's Day wasn’t celebrated).

Peter and Fevronya lived in the 13th century. According to the legend, the prince of Murom Peter once was taken ill with lepra and couldn’t be cured of it, and the heralds was able to find only one peasant girl Fevronya who agreed to heal it. In exchange for healing he promised to marry her. But having recovered Peter failed to keep his word and left her. However, the decease recurred and Peter came back to Fevronya and after the second recovery he married her.

The court nobility (boyars) of Murom didn’t accept Fevronya and forced Peter to abdicate and leave Murom. But already on the following morning they prayed them to come back, and Peter and Fevronya lived long and happy life in Murom.

When they got old, Peter and Fevronya took habit at different monasteries, but asked the God so that they died in their own cells, but at the same day and hour. This happened on July, 8th in 1228.

According to the legend, originally, they buried them at their own monasteries, but in the morning their bodies were found in the same tomb. After that no one decided to separate them. Peter and Fevronya were sanctified in 1547, and were made the patrons of Love, Mar-riage and Fidelity. Young married couples wanting children go to Murom to give a bow to these saints, as Russian Orthodox Church consider their relics as the miracle-working ones.

Thanks for adding of this publicaton to:
TOP - 3 Sights Russia

URL Photo:

URL Gallery:

URL Place:

HTML code: 

BBCode: