About cathedral: St. Panteleimon the Healer Cathedral

The main church of Yessentuki is on the outskirts of the Resort Medical Park. It was built at the end of the 19th century, but, as the Savior cathedral in Pyatigorsk, it was blown up in 1935. The restoration of both cathedrals had begun in the 90th of the past century, and today religious services are held at the cathedral.

The cathedral was laid down on July, 27, 1888 in honor of St. Panteleimon the Healer. As is known, the Orthodox Church highly venerates this Greek saint, helping people to recover. And in Yessentuki most people come there especially for healing.

Originally, the Church of St. Panteleimon had five domes and three altars, the central one being devoted to Panteleimon. A parochial church school was near the cathedral.

In 1932 the St. Panteleimon Cathedral was turned into a warehouse, and in 1935 the Bolsheviks decided to blow it up. In 1991 the former sites of cathedrals in Yessentuki and Pyatigorsk were consecrated, and they were restored for private donations.

In Yessentuki the new cathedral of St. Panteleimon the Healer was built by the project of the architect A. V. Travenko who slightly changed its original appearance. The cathedral was also built from light brick, but had much more domes.

Thanks for adding of this publicaton to:

URL Photo:

URL Gallery:

URL Place:

HTML code: 

BBCode: