About square: Veche square

The right side of the Dovmont's Town is dominated by the Bell Tower. One can enter the Pskov Kremlin by the Great Gate of this tower. Passing through the gate one get in the so-called zakhab. It is a long winding road between the walls, from which the defenders could fire at the enemy who burst in the city. The zakhab gives to a large square in front of the Trinity Cathedral. It is the Veche Square, which was the political center of the Pskov feudal republic.
As is known, in the period of 9-12 centuries Novgorod the Great and Pskov, having ancient traditions of veche republics, were included in the Kievan Rus'. And when it ceased to exist in 1156, the rising of the Novgorod feudal republic took place, which could subject the lands of Pskov. 
A posadnik was sent from Novgorod, and the citizens of Pskov had to obey the Novgorod Veche. However, in 1348 Pskov won complete independence from Novgorod and the Pskov Veche again began to play the main role in the city administration. 
The Pskov feudal republic, with the Veche as a supreme authority, lasted to 1510. TheVeche was called by the veche bell on the Veche Square of the Pskov Kremlin. The Veche could be attended by all adult men with households in Pskov. However, the decisions were mostly taken by the boyars.
Pskov had the prince who acted as a military leader and a judge. But his power was not hereditary (princes were elected by the Veche) and was limited by the decisions of the Veche. The executive power belonged to 16 posadniks. Two of them were the «stepen posadniks». During the veche meetings they stood on the «stepen», a deck near the Trinity Cathedral, from which they addressed the people and presided over the meetings. These posadniks were changed every year.
In the course of time the Pskov republic began to invite the Moscow princes, as it needed an alliance with Moscow for protection from external enemies. In 1510 Pskov was annexed by the Grand Duchy of Moscow and the Veche Square lost its significance. In the 19 century the Annunciation Cathedral was built on the Veche Square. It was pulled down in the 30th of the 20 century. Today the site of the ruined cathedral is marked by the cross.

Thanks for adding of this publicaton to:

URL Photo:

URL Gallery:

URL Place:

HTML code: 

BBCode: