The Epiphany Cathedral is a metropolitan church of the Tomsk eparchy of the Russian Orthodox Church. In 1630 on the embankment of the river Tom at the foot of Voskresenskaya hill there was erected a wooden church of Epiphany
The Polish church of the Intercession of the Holy Virgin of the Holy Rosary was built on the top of a hill near Voskresenskaya hill in 1833. You should visit it after the Tomsk ostrog
Lenin Avenue is the main street of the old Tomsk. For several centuries it was there that the most beautiful wooden houses were located. But in the 19 century all of them were pulled down and replaced by beautiful multistory stone houses. There only remained several wooden houses near Trifonov street
One of the most luxurious mansions of the 19 century, which once belonged to I. D. Astashov, a gold producer of Tomsk, is near the City Hall on Lenin Avenue. This Empire-style house was built in 1838
Surely, you should visit the memorial museum «NKVD remand prison» as it will be quite difficult to find a similar place in the other cities of Russia. The museum is in the basement of a big stone house on 44, Lenin Avenue. It is there that remand prison of the Tomsk City Department of the NKVD was located in the period from 1923 to 1944
The monastery was founded in 1605, the following year after the foundation of Tomsk. It is on Yurtochnaya hill over the river Kirgizka. The main halidom of the monastery is the relics of St. Feodor of Tomsk, better known as Feodor Kuzmich. They are kept in a chapel on the territory of the monastery
The Tomsk ostrog is on Voskresenskaya hill rising above the river Ushayka and Lenin Square. In 1604 in this place there appeared a fortress significantly extending the Siberian possessions of Russia. It was built by the order of the Russian tsar Boris Godunov
The Trinity public garden or park is near Lenin Avenue. It is a favorite park of the citizens of Tomsk. The Trinity public garden is opposite one of the Tomsk universities on Lenin Avenue
The Tomsk ostrog (prison) was built on Voskresenskaya hill near the river Ushayka in the place where it joins the river Tom. The Ushayka river looks much bigger on the pictures of the past centuries. This is because today the most part of the river is hidden in the tunnels under Lenin Square
For centuries Tomsk was the main center of the development of Western Siberia. As Tomsk was the capital of the Siberian region, which was rich in wood, wooden houses were mainly built in the city in the period from its foundation in 1604 to the end of the 19 century
Considering the national value of Tomsk wooden architecture, it was quite logical to create a museum for its maintenance. The museum was given an Art Nouveau building, which is an example of Tomsk wooden architecture of the 19 century. The house was once owned by an engineer Kryachkov. It has a beautiful design of the roof and facade
Thanks for adding of this publicaton to:
If you find a mistake on this page, select it and press Ctrl + Enter

URL Photo:

URL Gallery:

URL Place:

HTML code: 

BBCode: