About sight: Feodorvsky Convent

The Feodorvsky Convent is at the entrance to Pereslavl-Zaleski, if you go from Moscow. In the past it was the richest monastery in the city. The first records of the convent date back to the 15 century.
It was founded in memory of the fierce battle between the troops of Moscow prince Yuri Danilovich and Tver prince Mikhail Yaroslavovich in 1304. As the battle took place on the day of Feodor Stratilat the main church of the convent was given his name.
At this convent there remained more stone buildings of 17-18 centuries than at any other monastery. First of all they are the old and new residential quarters with stone ornamented window surrounds. They were built in the Russian «tented» style in the 17 century. The buildings of prior (17 century) and precentor (18 century) were designed in the same style. 
At the end of the 17 century and in the first half of the 18 century the Feodorvsky Convent was patronized by the tsar's family. The tzarevna Natalia Alexeyevna gave money for two churches. Peter the Great also made big donations. Since 1722 the nuns of this convent were also trained «to spin German yarn». About the same time many «disgraced» noble women, including the wife of the attorney-general Pavel Yaguzhinsky, were imprisoned at the Feodorvsky Convent.
The Cathedral of St. Feodor Stratilat is the earliest remaining building of the convent (1557). The construction of the cathedral is related with tzarevich Feodor, the second son of Ivan the Terrible, who allegedly was born not far from the Feodorvsky Convent. There are two churches near the cathedral: those of Our Lady of Kazan Icon and the The Entry of the Most Holy Theotokos into the Temple.

Thanks for adding of this publicaton to:

URL Photo:

URL Gallery:

URL Place:

HTML code: 

BBCode: