One of the main cities of the Golden Ring located 72 km from Moscow
Village Diveevo, located in Nizhniy Novgorod region, became one of the centers of Russian Orthodox Church
Solovetsky Islands are in the center of the White Sea in the north of Russia. There located one of the most important spiritual centers of Russia, the patriarchal Solovetsky Monastery of the Transfiguration of Our Savior
If you want to have a rest in the open, far from civilization, but don’t want to spend several hours flying to Siberia, then Karelian region is just what you need. It has won-derful opportunities for eco tourism, most beautiful northern landscapes: pine woods, numer-ous lakes and rivers with islands. All Karelian lakes are dotted with hundreds of islands, lend-ing them the special beauty. As a rule, the shores of the lakes and rivers are rocky, and eve-rywhere you can see cliffs and skerries, as well as huge boulders, overgrown with mosses, in a word, severe northern beauty can be seen everywhere
The small monastery of Optyna Pustyn is on the outskirts of the city of Kozelsk in Tula Region. The religious significance of this monastery is very high both for Russian Orthodox Church and the people of Russia
The most important spiritual centers of Russia are Troitse-Sergiyeva Lavra, where the rel-ics of Sergiy Radonezhsky are kept and Serafimo-Diveevsky Monastery where the relics of Seraphim Sarovsky are kept
St. Trinity Pskov Caves Monastery is often called the Lavra, which stresses its significance for the Russian Orthodox Church (officially, there are only two Lavras in Russia – Trinity-Sergius Lavra in Sergiev Posad and Alexander Nevsky Lavra in St. Petersburg). The monastery was founded in 1473
In the time of Peter I the new capital, St. Petersburg, was built at rapid pace, in spite of all difficulties. Seven years after the city was founded, in 1710, Peter the Great ordered to begin the construction of a monastery at the confluence of a small river Chernaya (Black) and the Neva. It is believed that on that place on July, 15, 1240 Alexander Nevsky won the victory over the Sweden troops headed by the Jarl Birger and stopped their expansion to the Russian lands
Holy Trinity Ipatiev Monastery located at the confluence of the rivers Volga and Kostroma is the «cradle of the House of Romanov». It was just here that in 1613 Mikhail Romanov was declared tsar and that event determined the further development of Russia for several centuries ahead
Kirillo-Belozersky Monastery is located 130 kilometers to the north of Vologda on the shore of Lakes Siverskoye. This monastery features the Russia`s strongest fortifications, as well as the largest territory surrounded by the fortified walls
The relics of St. Peter and Fevronya are kept in the small mo-nastery located in the center of the ancient city of Murom. In Russia they were always consi-dered to be the patrons of Family and Marriage. The day of Peter and Fevronya, July, 8th, was celebrated as the Day of the Beloved in Russia until 1917 (then St. Valentine`s Day wasn’t celebrated)
The small Ferapontov convent, located 130 km to the north of Vologda, is a unique monument of the Old Russian painting due to the fact that in 1502 the Nativity cathedral was painted by the famous Russian icon painter Dionysus and his sons
The city of Zvenigorod is 45 km of Moscow Ring Road on Novorizhskoye Highway. Near it, on the bank of the Moscow River, Savvino-Storozhevsky Monastery is located, which is one of the most interesting places in Moscow Area
Near the tube station ‘Sportivnaya’ one of the most famous Moscow sights is located – Novodevichy Convent. It was built by the tsar Vasili III in 1524
The monastery is to the west of Moscow, at the 60 km of Volokolamsk or Novorizhskoye highway in New Jerusalem
Smolny Monastery was built near the meander of the Ne-va, at the place of its confluence with the Okhta (the Nienschanz fortress was located there). In the seventeenth century the place was far rather from the city, and the empress Elizabeth wanted to retire there at the evening of her life with 120 nuns who were the daughters of the nobility.
Because of its powerful walls the Spaso-Preobrazhensky Monastery, laid down in 1216, was used as the acropolis and center of defense. Since that time the monastery also housed the treasury. Now it is the most interesting sight of Yaroslavl