The church devoted to the Icon of Our Lady of Kazan was erected in Kolomenskoye during the reign of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich. After the tsar`s court had settled in the recently built Summer Palace, a family church appeared near it. The church was built in 1649 to commemorate the birth of the heir Dmitry.
As is known, the wooden palace of Alexei Mikhailovich was on the site of today oak grove, that is, in the immediate vicinity of the church, and they were connected by a roofed passage. Unfortunately, the wooden palace didn’t survive, but the stone church held out almost intact to our days.
The interior of the five-domed Church of the Icon of Our Lady of Kazan was preserved because it was one of the few churches which weren’t shut down by the Bolsheviks in the 20 century The miracle-making Icon of Our Lady of Kazan called Derzhavnaya is kept in the church.