The museum d`Orsay is located in the building of Gare d`Orsay, a former Paris railway station built in 1900. In 1939, during World War II, the station was closed and in 1980 there was opened a museum. The museum contains the most interesting collection of paintings for 1848-1905. Earlier, these pictures were exhibited at different art galleries and now they have been gathered in a single building.
The core of the collection is works of impressionists and post-impressionists. And though there are paintings of other painters in the museum, its main attraction is canvases of such famous painters as Manet and Renoir, Degas and Van Gogh and Gauguin, and many other impressionist artists.