In Moscow region, you can visit several noble estates. The Kolomenskoye Estate and the Izmailovo Estate are the oldest in Moscow and the tsars still lived there. Then the capital was moved to St. Petersburg, since then the Royal palaces were built in the Northern Capital.
In this review on the online travel guide Geomerid you can read about the most famous noble estates in Moscow and the region:
1. Kolomenskoye Estate
2. Izmailovo Estate
3. Kuskovo Estate
4. Arkhangelskoe Estate
5. Tsaritsyno Estate
6. Dubrovitsy Estate
7. Ostafevo Estate
8. Bolshye Vyazemy Estate
Kolomenskoye estate may be considered one of the most beautiful landscape parks in Moscow. Its historical and architectural value was marked by UNESCO. Tsar Vasiliy III built the first significant constructions in Kolomenskoye. In 1528-1532 he built the Ascension Church on the bank of the Moscow River.
Most large-scale building was made in the time of tsar Alexei Mikhailovich. During his rule Kolomenskoye was turned into luxurious (by 17th century standards) out-of-town tsar`s residence. In 1657-67 the Palace of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich was built in Kolomenskoye. Contemporaries even called it the «eighth world`s wonder», although, of course, it was very big exaggeration.
Now Izmailovo estate is mainly known for its kremlin and vernissage. If you go along the shore of Serebryany (Silver) pond as far as the Izmailovo island, you can see a quite different Izmailovo. In 17 century Izmailovo was a small village located rather far from Moscow. Izmailovo was the family estate of the Romanov dynasty who had ruled over Russia since 1613.
To our days there survived the buildings of the time of Tsar Alexey Mikhailovich. It was under that tsar the Serebryanka river was blocked by a dam and the island was created where the summer residence of Izmailovo was located. To our days on the island there remained the Intercession Cathedral (1679), the Gates of the Tsar`s Court (1670) and the Mostovaya (Bridge) Tower (1671).
Kuskovo estate is one of the most famous manorial estates in Moscow. From 17 century the estate belonged to the ducal family of Sheremetyev and remained in a wonderful state to our days. The grand palace is on the shore of the Palace pond, which has a right square shape. A beautiful regular park with numerous buildings and sculptures is behind the palace.
The Sheremetyevs had other estates and mansions in Moscow, so Kuskovo was originally created as a place for splendid balls, parties and pleasure events. In 1780 a sumptuous flower ball was held at Kuskovo in honor of a visit of Empress Catherine II.
In 16th there was an estate of count Kantemir on the site called ‘Black Mud’. Catherine II who once stopped there on the way from Kolomenskoye liked its nature and beautiful landscapes very much. She bought out the estate from their former owners to build on its lands another Moscow tsar residence, which she named «Tsaritsyno estate».
The construction was commissioned to the architect Kazakov who was the pupil of Bazhenov. The construction was commissioned to the architect Kazakov who was the pupil of Bazhenov. He significantly changed the project of the main palace – so then was called today Great Palace in Tsaritsyno. On both sides of the Great Palace there are many other buildings and pavilions: Cavalry Buildings, Middle Palace (Opera House), Small Palace, as well as bridges and conservatories.
Arkhangelskoye estate is quite rightly considered one of the most beautiful noble estates in the Moscow region. It became famous in 1703, when it came into possession of Prince Golitsyn. During 1784-1809 Arkhangelskoye acquired its today appearance. However, it became a truly splendid residence only in the time of the Yusupov.
Here the rivalry with Moscow estates of the Sheremetyev served its purpose: Kuskovo and Ostankino. Sheremetyev had there a theatre where a serf actress Zhemchugova shone. Yusupov created a wonderful art collection at Arkhangelskoye. The collection had the pictures of Rembrandt, Vandyke and many other famous painters.
The picturesque Dubrovitsy estate is not far from Podolsk, 20 kilometers to the south from Moscow. At the place where the Pakhra river joins the Desna river you can stroll at a picturesque park, as well as see the most beautiful Znamenskaya church built in the style of Catholic baroque and decorated with sculptures and stone carving.
It was in the time of the Golitsyn that there was built a palace and laid down a large lime park there. In 1690 Boris Golitsyn, who was then the tutor of the young Tsar Peter I, decided to build there an Orthodox church of the Sign of the Holy Virgin but in the baroque style, which was uncharacteristic of Russia. An Italian architect was invited to build it. Tsar Peter had often been to the Golitsyn’s estate and observed the construction of the church.
The noble estate of Ostafyevo is 10 kilometers south of Moscow. In 19 century it belonged to the Vyazemsky princes. Now it houses the State Museum-Estate «Russian Parnassus» and for many years the estate was also considered the Pushkin Museum.
Many famous writers of those times visited Pyotr Vyazemsky in Ostafyevo: Griboyedov, Gogol, Turgenev, Zhukovsky, Batyushkov, Davydov, Mickiewicz. Karamzin lived here for many years, and Pushkin, a close friend of Peter Vyazemsky, has been there many times. There Griboyedov read «The Mischief of Being Clever» and Pushkin read the last, just written, chapters of «Eugene Onegin». It is just for this reason the estate was given the name «Russian Parnas».
The Bolshiye Vyazemy estate is near the old Smolensk road by which the troops of Napoleon moved to Moscow in 19 century. The estate has a very long history. A palace of the Golitsyns was built there in the second half of 18 century. It was near the Church of the Transfiguration of Our Saviour and a palace built by Boris Godunov at the end of 16 century.
In 1684 Peter I gave the estate to his mentor B. А. Golitsyn. But he rarely came to Vyazemy preferring to live at the Dubrovitsy estate (near Podolsk). At the end of 17 century at the estate a palace was built, which was twice visited by Peter I, in 1701 and 1705. It is likely that the palace was wooden and so it didn’t survive to our days. The descendants of Boris Golitsyn permanently lived at the Bolshiye Vyazemy. They built there a big beautiful palace in 1784.