Back

Suzdal Kremlin photo

The Suzdal Kremlin is different from the strong citadels of Moscow, Nizhniy Novgorod or Rostov. However, it has its cultural value and is one of the main sights of the city.

The Suzdal Kremlin is the place at the bend of the river Kamenka where the city of Suzdal was founded in the 11 century. In that time the Kamenka river was navigable and Suzdal rather quickly developed. The prince`s and bishop`s courts were within the Suzdal Kremlin. For several centuries the Suzdal Kremlin was surrounded by the wooden walls. And after a fire in the 18 century it was decided to not restore them again as there was no need in such defense fortifications.

To our days there survived the earth ramparts marking the outlines of the former walls. The moats were filled but the main gems of the Suzdal Kremlin – the Nativity (of Our Lady) Cathedral and the Bishop`s Chambers – remained intact.

The first small cathedral of the Nativity of Our Lady was built in the 12 century. However, already in the next century it was dismantled and a new big cathedral was laid down. The cathedral was more than once rebuilt in the following centuries. And though it retained many architectural features of the original cathedral (13 century) the today cathedral was mainly built and painted in the 16 century.

You can visit the cathedral both a church and a museum. It has a very beautiful iconostasis. In some places at the foundation of the cathedral there remained the paintings of the 13 century. The cathedral has the necropolis of the Shuyskiy and Dolgorukiy princes.

A beautiful white building is near the cathedral. It is the Archbishop Palace. It was there that the court of the bishop or metropolitan of Suzdal was located. The ensemble of religious and residential buildings was constructed during 15-18 centuries. The Archbishop Palace and the Nativity Cathedral have common architectural features.

Today the Archbishop Palace is a museum. The museum has many curious exhibits. You should pay a special attention to the Cross Chamber, which was the place of the official receptions of the metropolitan of Suzdal. It has an area of about 340 m2, which is uncommon for the religious buildings of that period.

Not far from the Nativity Cathedral there is a beautiful wooden St. Nicholas Church, brought to Suzdal from the village of Glotovo Yuriev-Polsky district. It was built in 1766. The temple is raised on the basement and surrounded by galleries. The Church is a beautiful example of wooden architecture, when wooden churches were built without the use of iron nails.

advertising - continued below
Photo Gallery
View All (20)
Wooden St. Nicholas Church (1766) from the village of Glotovo in the Suzdal Kremlin
In the 16th century, the Nativity Cathedral was burned by the Tatars and built on. The lower part of the Cathedral dates from the 12th century, and the upper part from the 16th century
The Archbishops Palace in the Suzdal Kremlin was built in the 15th century and then expanded and rebuilt
Wooden St. Nicholas Church (1766) from the village of Glotovo in the Suzdal Kremlin
Nativity Cathedral and Church of Elijah the Prophet in Suzdal
Around the Nativity Cathedral in the Suzdal Kremlin preserved a small fence
The Nativity Cathedral in the Suzdal Kremlin was built by Vladimir Monomakh in the 12th century
Carved gilded iconostasis of the 17th century in the Nativity Cathedral of the Suzdal Kremlin
The Western gate in the Nativity Cathedral of Suzdal - a masterpiece made in the 13th century by the now lost technology of fire gilding
The lion-shaped handle on the Western gate in the Nativity Cathedral - is a masterpiece of the 13th century, made by fire gilding technology
The shrine with the relics of St. Arsenius, the archbishop of Suzdal, in the Nativity of Our Lady Cathedral at the Suzdal Kremlin
The Сross chamber of the Archbishop Palace of the Suzdal Kremlin is the largest hall with an area of 330 square meters
Archbishop chair in the Cross chamber in the Archbishop Palace of the Suzdal Kremlin
Model of the Suzdal Kremlin in The Museum of Archbishop Palace in the Suzdal Kremlin
Jordan canopy in the Archbishops palace - a tent over the Font, which is cut through the ice on the celebration of Baptism
Annunciation Refectory Church in the Archbishops Palace of the Suzdal Kremlin
The main building of the Archbishops palace in the Suzdal Kremlin, where the Cross Chamber is located
Earthen ramparts of the Suzdal Kremlin, where until the 18th century there were wooden walls and towers
Kamenka river under the earthen ramparts of the Suzdal Kremlin