Back

Hot Spring balneological resort

The Hot Spring balneological resort is located on the Psekups River. The composition of the Psekup waters is similar to the waters in the Russian resorts of Yessentuki and Matsesta, and they can also be compared with the waters of the European resorts in Karlovy Vary (Czech Republic) and Baden-Baden (Germany). In the sanatoriums of the Hot Spring, diseases of the gastrointestinal tract are mainly treated. 

Hot Spring is among the TOP10 most popular balneological resorts in Russia, at the same time, it is one of the oldest. While relaxing in Hot Spring, you can plan a trip to the beaches of the Black Sea. The distance to the nearest resort of Dzhubga is only 60 kilometers, it is about 1 hour by car. 

History of the Hot Spring resort 

Hot Spring is one of the oldest balneological resorts in Russia. It was founded in 1864, immediately after the end of the Caucasian War. Earlier, only famous resorts in Pyatigorsk and Kislovodsk were founded. The mineral waters resort in Matsesta on the Black Sea coast was founded later, in 1902. 

The healing properties of local mineral water springs were known long before the appearance of the Russian resort here. Before the end of the Caucasian War, these lands belonged to the Fatey tribes (the ancestors of the Circassians and Adygs). The fortress of Fateev at this place was called Psyfabe, which means "Warm Water" in Adyghe. Barely noticeable ruins of the ancient fortress have been preserved in the Healing Park above the Cockerel Rock. In the park there are ruins of a water tank from the time of the establishment of the resort (mid-19th century), which many people mistake for the ruins of the Psyfabe Fortress. 

By the end of the Caucasian War, the Adyghe tribes were ousted from these lands, and in the middle of the 19th century, the Psekub military hospital began operating here. On the basis of local mineral springs, soldiers were rehabilitated after injuries. In 1864, the resort started working not only as a military hospital, but also received the first civilian visitors.  

At first, the resort was called Alekseevsky Hot Spring, but in 1926 it was called simply Hot Spring. However, the name "Psekup mineral waters" is also used.  

Attractions of the Hot Spring 

The resort of Hot Spring is visited annually by more than one hundred thousand tourists. There are many sanatoriums and hotels where they can undergo a course of treatment with Psekub therapeutic water. There are also natural attractions that allow them to diversify their leisure time. 

The main boulevard of the Hot Spring resort is called the Alley of a Thousand Pines. The length of its pedestrian part reaches 2 kilometers. Near the Healing Park, the alley looks more like a park area, where there a Drinking Gallery and a Hydrotherapy are located.  

The most interesting natural attraction of the Hot Spring resort is the Healing Park. Walking trails lead through the Dante Gorge to the Cockerel Rock on the bank of the Psekups River. These attractions are not far from each other.  

If you have good physical fitness, then you can plan long walks. The farthest point of such a walk is Mount Sapun. The distance from the entrance to the Healing Park to this mountain is 3.5 kilometers, and the climb reaches 350 meters. You should critically evaluate your fitness and plan for such a walk most of the day.  

Photo Gallery
View All (27)
Balneary in Hot Spring resort on Thousand Pines Boulevard
Pump rooms in the Drinking gallery on the Alley of Thousands of Pines in the resort Hot Spring
The Adyghe pillar under an oak tree at the entrance to the Healing Park in Hot Spring
View of the Rock Cockerel from the river Psekups in the Hot Spring
Symbolic bowl near the Iveron Chapel in memory of the Holy Iveron Spring
The entrance to the Dante Gorge in Hot Spring with the famous footprints on the mountainside
The narrow gorge of the Dante Gorge on the mountainside in the Healing Park of the Hot Spring
Inscriptions carved on the slopes of the rocks in the Dante Gorge in Hot Spring
Rocky remains covered with moss in the Healing Park in Hot Springs
Arch at the entrance to the Healing Park in the resort of Hot Spring
Monument erected in honor of the 140th anniversary on the Alley of a Thousand Pines in Hot Spring
Photo of the 19th century: The building of the Balneary in Hot Spring
The buildings of the sanatorium of the Foothills of the Caucasus on the Alley of Thousands of Pines in the resort of Hot Spring
Lion Gate, installed in the resort of Hot Spring, in 1914 in honor of the 50th anniversary of the city
The upper ridge of the Rock Cockerel in the Hot Spring
View of the Psekups River and the peaks of the Pshavsky ridge from the gazebo above the Cockerel Rock in the Hot Spring
Gazebo on the crest of the Rock Cockerel in the Healing Park of the resort Hot Spring
The source of St. Panteleimon near the Iveron Chapel in Hot Spring
The obelisk of Living Water near the Iver Chapel, installed in 1914 in Hot Spring
The entrance to the Dante Gorge near the Iver Chapel in Hot Spring
Steps cut down in the Dante Gorge in the Healing Park in Hot Spring
Dante Gorge in Hot Spring is a fault on a rocky sandstone slope
High embankment of the Psekups River in the Healing Park of Hot Spring
Alley of a Thousand Pines - the main resort boulevard of the Hot Spring
Rocky remains covered with moss in the Healing Park in Hot Springs
Walking paths on the mountain slopes in the Healing Park in Hot Spring
View of the Psekups River and the Cockerel Rock from the Bridge of Hope in the Hot Spring