Back

Novgorod Kremlin in Veliky Novgorod photo

The Novgorod Kremlin (also Detinets) is the most interesting place in the city. It is located in the center of the city on the river Volkhov. The first records of it date back to the 11 century. Inside the Kremlin is the most ancient Russian church, the Cathedral of St. Sophia and the bell tower, as well as the Monument to the Thousand Years of Russia.

By all means should you have a walk on the walls of the Novgorod Kremlin. All walls and towers of the Kremlin survived in perfect condition. Their length is 1.3 km, so one hour will be quite enough to look round the Kremlin and admire the views of the river Volkhov. All towers have their names, for example, Dvortsovaya, Spasskaya, Knyazhaya and so on. The most curious of them are the Kokuy Tower and the Metropolitan Tower with the attached Clock Tower.

In 1862, in the presence of the Russian Emperor Alexander II, at the center of the Novgorod Kremlin there was installed the Monument to the Thousand Years of Russia┬╗. It was installed there a thousand years after the year of 862, when the prince Ryurik who founded the Rurik Dynasty, which ruled Kievan Rus until the 17th century.

There are two very interesting museums in the Novgorod Kremlin, the museum in the former Public Office Building, and the Episcopal Palace (Chamber of Facets). The Public Office Building is the main building of the Novgorod State United Museum. It houses exhibitions devoted to the history of Novgorod land and the Russian icon-painting of 11-19 centuries. In the Episcopal Palace, you can see collections of church utensils. It is also one of the most ancient stone buildings in Russia.

Photo Gallery
View All (30)
St. Sophia Cathedral (1045) in Veliky Novgorod is the most ancient church of Russia
View of St. Sophia Cathedral from the Volkhov river
Gothic hall of Vladychnaya chamber with the most valuable exhibits
View to St. Sophia belfry from the St. Sophia Cathedral
The wall of the Novgorod Kremlin with towers Prince`s, Intercession and Kokui
The view of the walls of the Novgorod Kremlin from the Kokui tower
The monument to the Millennium of Russia was erected in 1862 in Novgorod Kremlin
Episcopal house - the main Palace of the Vladychny court in the Novgorod Kremlin
Facade of St. Sophia Cathedral in the Novgorod Kremlin
View of St. Sophia Cathedral from the Bell Tower of the Novgorod Kremlin
Our Lady of the Sign is to the right of the sanctuary of St. Sophia Cathedral
Bronze bas reliefs with Biblical topics on the Magdeburg gate
The original cross of the 19th century with the dome of St. Sophia Cathedral
The cell of Archbishop John (1163-1186 years) in Episcopal chamber of the Novgorod Kremlin
The 12th century Deesis Zion Great from the St. Sophia Cathedral
Kokuy tower is the tallest in the Novgorod Kremlin. Viewpoint is locate upstairs
St. Sophia belfry rises above the fortress wall of the Novgorod Kremlin
The building of Municipal Authorities in the Novgorod Kremlin, where now Novgorod historical Museum is located
Stone with ancient petroglyphs found in the Novgorod region, in the Novgorod Museum
Novgorod birch bark manuscript of the 11th century, where merchants discussed trade relations, in the Novgorod historical Museum
The Sofia belfry of the Novgorod Kremlin was built in the first half of the 15th century
View of St. Sophia belfry from the river Volkhov
The view from the Sofia belfry to the Volkhov river
Palace Tower Of The Novgorod Kremlin
The figure of count Rurik, when he came in 862 to reign in Veliky Novgorod
The figure of Prince Vladimir, who in 980 baptized Russia
Figures Minin and Pozharsky, who handed the crown young Michael Romanov in 1613
Intercession tower and attached to her intercession Church next to the tower Kokuy
View of the fortress wall of the Novgorod Kremlin from the Kokuy tower
View of St. Sophia Cathedral from the Kokuy tower