The Old Russa Resort is one of the most famous balneological resorts in the North-Western region of Russia. For 8 centuries, Old Russa was the center of salt production in the North-Western region and only in 1828 it was awarded the status of a balneological resort. The healing properties of sodium chloride mineral water, as well as sulfide-silt mud of Old Russa, have been known for a long time, however, it was not used for medicinal purposes.
At the beginning of the 19th century, the therapeutic and health-improving properties of mineral water and mud were officially confirmed by Dr. Fedor Gaaz. At the beginning of the 19th century, he made two trips to the North Caucasus, where he explored the mineral sources in Kislovodsk, Pyatigorsk and Essentuki. After confirming their medicinal properties, the resort infrastructure began to form there.
After the conclusion of Dr. Fedor Haaz, the Staraya Russa Resort began to be created on the site of the springs. In 1830, the tsar signed the project "Mineral Water Facilities in Old Russa". At first, only soldiers who were undergoing rehabilitation were treated here. However, due to the transport accessibility to St. Petersburg and Moscow, the resort has become popular. A theater and other entertainment facilities were built here.
The buildings of the Old Russa sanatorium are located in the middle of a relict deciduous forest. Near the entrance there is a Resort theater, and behind it Building No. 1 Rachmaninov is located. On the right side in the forest is the Building No. 3 Dostoevsky. The buildings of the sanatorium were named after famous visitors of the resort. There are also buildings of Mendeleev, Glinka, Svarog.
Behind the buildings of the sanatorium is the Muravyevsky fountain, and behind it is a Mud clinic. There are three lakes near it: Upper, Middle and Lower. The lake is equipped with a small beach and a recreation area. In the center of the Old Russa Resort is the Muravyevsky Fountain. It is the most powerful self-draining source of mineral water in Europe. Water comes to the surface of the earth in a powerful stream that hits a height of 10 meters. 8 sources of sodium chloride Old Russian water were found on the territory of the Old Russa Resort. Muravyevsky spring has one of the most powerful debits of mineral water.
The source was named after the Minister of State Property of Russia M. Muravyev, who in the middle of the 19th century paid great attention to the development of the Old Russa Resort. By his order, additional wells were drilled in the city. After drilling a 100-meter artesian well, mineral water began to beat to a height of 10 meters. After that, the Muravyevsky spring was arranged in the form of a fountain in 1857.