Piccadilly Circus is located in the area of Westminster, a few quarters to the north from Trafalgar Square. In the 19th century a beautiful ensemble of buildings of the Victorian period was formed there, but today many buildings are decorated with huge billboards and neon advertising.
The word «Piccadilly» is well known all over the world, even to those who have never been to London, from literary and musical works. It owes its name to the tailor Robert Baker, who made his fortune on once fashionable piccadilly collars. In 1612 he bought a plot in this area and built a house on it, which they soon began to call the Piccadilly House. Over time the whole street was given this name. Eventually, this area became very prestigious, and the aristocracy built there their luxurious mansions.
The Piccadilly Circus (square) properly was created at the intersection of Regent Street and Piccadilly Street in 1819. It was designed by the architect John Nash. Shaftesbury Memorial Fountain is on the southern side of the square. It was installed in 1892 in memory of Lord Shaftesbury, a famous sponsor of the Victorian period.
The underground Criterion Theater is on the Piccadilly Circus. It was designed by the architect Thomas Verity in 1874. The famous London Pavilion is on the square itself. In 2000 the building became part of the Trocadero Centre, and signage on the building was altered in 2003 to read London Trocadero.