Back

Cathedral of the Holy Cross and Saint Eulalia in Barcelona photo

The Cathedral of the Holy Cross and Saint Eulalia was founded in 1298. It is the Catholic Dom Cathedral of Barcelona. The Cathedral is located in the Gothic Quarter on the New square. At this place the Romans founded their military camp Borsino in ancient times, which later became Barcelona.

From the outside, the Cathedral does not look large (it is hemmed in by houses on both sides), but the internal dimensions of the main nave are impressive. The Cathedral is 93 meters long and 40 meters wide. The construction of the Cathedral, begun in 1298, was completed in 1420. In 1913, a Central tower with a height of 70 meters was built over the Cathedral.

Inside, most of the space in length is occupied by the choir room. Its enclosure is decorated with marble bas-reliefs depicting scenes from the life of Saint Eulalia. Above the seats are the coats of arms of the knights of the Golden Fleece (15th century work). The height of the Central nave reaches 26 meters.

The main Shrine of the Cathedral is the Holy Cross with the figure of Jesus Christ. It was transferred to the Cathedral from one of the ships of the Spanish fleet that participated in the battle of Lepanto. It took place in 1571, when the ships of the Christian Mediterranean countries defeated the Turkish fleet.

The Cathedral is also dedicated to Saint Eulalia. She lived in Barcelona in the 3rd century and refused to worship the Roman gods. For practicing Christianity, at the age of 13, she was subjected to torture and martyrdom. The crypt of the Cathedral contains the relics of Saint Eulalia. They are placed in an alabaster sarcophagus of the work of Nicolo Pisano. In the courtyard of the Cathedral live 13 white geese, which symbolize the purity of Saint Eulalia.

The Cathedral of the Holy Cross has many stained glass windows. A 16th-century organ has been preserved. The main chapel of the Cathedral is the Capella Majore. Nearby is the Sacristy, where the Cathedral`s Treasures are stored. The wrought-iron grating of the chapel of St. Oligarius was installed in the Cathedral in 1405.