The Grand Palais is located on Winston Churchill Avenue, which runs between the River Seine and the Champs-Elysees. Its huge glass dome is clearly visible from the Alexander III Bridge. The Grand and Small Palaces were built between 1897 and 1900, for the opening of the World`s Fair in 1900.
By the end of the 19th century, the architectural style of Art Nouveau, which is also called Beaux-Art, became fashionable. The Grand Palace in Paris has become one of the masterpieces of this style. The design of the palace was jointly developed by three architects: Henri Deglan (facade), Albert Thom (west side) and Albert Louvet (main building with a dome). The Grand Palace has a steel frame. The length of the main nave reaches 240 meters.
Now it is a cultural and exhibition center with an area of more than 5 thousand m2. It hosts art exhibitions. The Grand Palace is the largest venue in the center of Paris. Famous artists such as Henri Matisse, Paul Gauguin, and Pablo Picasso held their exhibitions in the palace. Now in the north wing of the palace is an Art Gallery, and in the west wing is the Museum of Inventions and Discoveries. In other rooms, temporary exhibitions are constantly held, which last for several months.
The facade of the building is decorated with a large colonnade in the Ionic style. On one of the gables is written: "A building dedicated by the Republic to the glory of French Art." Above the great hall of the palace is a huge glass dome. Inside, the palace is decorated with mosaic panels. On the corners of the building there are copper sculptural compositions-quadrigas, the work of the sculptor Georges Recipon.