The Host Cathedral of Saint Prince Alexander Nevsky is opposite the Catherine’s Square on Postovaya Street. It was built in the Russian-Byzantine style and bears some similarity to the Cathedral of Christ the Savior in Moscow, as well as some other Russian cathedrals, which were built in the second half of 19 century. 

The Host Cathedral was laid down for the money of the Kuban Cossack Host in 1853 as Yekaterinodar was the capital of the latter and the cossacks needed a church. However, the Crimean War resulted in the lack of money for its construction. Consequently, the cathedral was built for 19 years and the ceremony of its consecration took place only in 1872. For several decades it was the main cathedral of Yekaterinodar.

The relics of the Kuban Cossack Host were stored at the cathedral. Various solemnities of the cossack host took place on the square near the cathedral. The host choir sang at the religious services. Later it became the famous Kuban Cossack Choir.

In the 1920th the cathedral was closed. At first its building was occupied by the museum of atheism and in 1932 it was decided to destroy it. The reconstruction of the cathedral began in 2003 and already in 2006 it was again consecrated and opened its doors to parishioners.