The Old Town Hall was founded in 1338, as a privilege given by John the Blind, Count of Luxembourg and King of Bohemia, to the citizens of the Old Town. It was the seat of Prague City Council.
Originally a large Gothic house of the Volflin family was used as a town hall. In 1364 a tall tower was erected above the house, and in 1381 a Gothic chapel was added to it. Later the Old Town Hall was repeatedly enlarged and rebuilt and included houses of different architectural styles.
The most interesting sight of the Old Town Hall is its astronomical clock or Prague Orloj. The horloge built in the beginning of 15 century by the clockmaster Mikuláš of Kadaň. It the third-oldest astronomical clock in the world and the oldest one still operating. At the doorways above the clock the statues of twelve Apostles are presented every hour. This show known as the "The Walk of the Apostles” hourly attracts crowds of tourists. At it`s climax the statue of a gold-plated cock briefly flaps its wings.
A viewing point is on the uppermost floor of the Old Town Hall. One can have wonderful views of the Old Town of Prague from there. One must ascend there especially as one can use a lift to do it. Also some chambers of the Old Town Hall are occupied by a museum, and numerous exhibitions are held there.