In ancient time the Domitianus Stadium was on the site of Piazza Navona. It was built in 80 AD. The stadium had an impressive area – 275 x 106 meters.
The ancient stadium built under Titus Flavius Domitianus was also known as the Arena of Agons. Eventually, the stadium was pulled down. Several churches and palace, baroque style, were built on the site of the stadium in the period of Renaissance. But fountains became then the main decoration of Piazza Navona.
Piazza Navona began to take its today look at the end of 15 century when Antonio Pamphili bought there 3 houses in 1470. Two centuries later one of his descendants, Giovanni Pamphili, became Pope Innocent X. In 1644 he wanted to build there a baroque palace. Later, there appeared another baroque churches and palaces. Consequently, Piazza Navona became one of the most famous architectural baroque ensembles.
The beautiful Church of Saint Agnes is in the center of the square. The Pope Innocent X had its built in 1652. It is supposed that Agnes was a Christian sent by the Romans to one of the brothels, which were located in the arches on the outside of the ancient stadium. There she died the death of martyr.
Three fountains are the most famous tourist attractions of Piazza Navona. They are still filled with the water from an ancient Roman aqueduct. The Fountain of the Four Rivers is in the center of the square. The obelisk surrounded by the statues of the gods patronizing the rivers Nile, Ganges, Danube and La Plata is towering over the fountain. The obelisk was made in Egypt by the order of Domitianus. The Fountain of Neptune and the Fountain of the Moor are at the sides of the square.