Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is located on the Strelka, where the rivers Oka and Volga flow together. Now the river port is on the site, and in the 19 century it was there that the famous Nizhniy Novgorod Fair was located, and the cathedral, built for the money of merchants, was given the name Novoyarmarochny (New Fair Cathedral).
By the middle of the 19 century the merchants of Nizhniy Novgorod decided to build a new cathedral, much bigger than the first one, on the territory of the fair. And the decision was taken in 1856 during the visiting the fair by the Russian Emperor Alexander II. It took over ten years to collect the money and the construction began only in 1868. The church was finished and consecrated in 1881.
The height of the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is 87 meters. It is the third highest church in Russia after the Savior Cathedral in Moscow and the St. Isaac Cathedral in St. Petersburg. In 2009 the cathedral became the main church of Nizhniy Novgorod.