Three main streets, thoroughfares of the upper part of Nizhniy Novgorod, branch off from the Dmitrovskaya tower of the Nizhniy Novgorod Kremlin. One of the streets is called Bolshaya Pokrovskaya. Before it was the most aristocratic street, and now it is a pedestrian zone.
Walking along the Bolshaya Pokrovskaya street one can feel the atmosphere of the old town, the 19 century. The length of the street is up to 2 km, but only a half of the street is a pedestrian zone. There are many sculptures here, against which background the tourists like to take snapshots.
In the 19 century there were built merchant mansions and tenement buildings in the street. In 1896 there was opened the Nizhniy Novgorod Drama Theatre, which had to be built there as far back as in the 30th of the 19 century.
The most interesting attraction of the Bolshaya Pokrovskaya street is the building of the State Bank constructed in 1913. The building still functions as a bank, which operation rooms are in the magnificent modern style interiors of the 19 century.