Estate of Rukavishnikov is in the center of the Upper Volga River Embankment. In the past century the house belonged to the Rukavishnikov family.
At the beginning of 19 century the mansion of the merchant Vezlomtsev was in this place. But in 1840 the house was given to Mikhail Rukavishnikov for debts. Rukavishnikov was the owner of the ironworks and the founder of a prominent dynasty of Nizhny Novgorod merchants, manufacturers and patrons.
In 1877 his son, Sergey Rukavishnikov, wanted to build the most luxurious house in the city on the Upper Volga River Embankment. The architect Pyotr Boytsov built on the old house but significantly reconstructed it.
The facade of the house is decorated by a large number of stucco moulding, the balcony of the first floor is supported by atlases, and high reliefs of Greek caryatides are between the windows. The sculptor Mikhail Mikeshin worked on the exterior of the house. The arched gates to the inner court with a fountain and a veranda are on the sides of the house.
The interior of the house is at least as magnificent. A beautiful marble staircase leads to the ball room on the first floor. Since 1924 the Rukavishnikov`s Mansion housed the expositions of the history and architecture museum. In some rooms there were preserved the original interiors.