The Annunciation Monastery and the Trinity Convent are in close proximity to each other north of the Oka Park. The monastery was founded by Ivan the Terrible after the capture of Kazan in 1533.
For several centuries the Annunciation Church was on this place. It was founded by Prince Constantine Svyatoslavich, the grandson of Yaroslav the Wise. In 1616 the monastery was ransacked by the Poles, and later it was rebuilt in stone.
The beautiful Annunciation Cathedral is in the center of the monastery. It was there that two icons of Our Lady, those of Vladimir and Iberia, which are very revered in Russia, were moved from Moscow in 1812.