The Savior Transfiguration Monastery is in the south of Murom on the high bank of the Oka. It is one of the oldest, and possibly the oldest one, monasteries in Russia. It is believed that the monastery was founded by Prince of Murom Gleb Vladimirovich in 1015.
In the Tale of Bygone Years the monastery is mentioned in connection with the death of Prince Izyaslav Vladimirovich at the walls of Murom in 1096. The founding of the monastery in 1015 is quite real, since Murom itself, that is, the Murom Kremlin, was founded in 862. Thus, it is possible that the monastery was founded even earlier than the Yuriev Monastery of Novgorod the Great, which was founded in 1030.
In 1552 Tsar Ivan the Terrible was on the way back to Moscow after the capture of Kazan. And following his order it was decided to build four stone churches in Murom, including the Transfiguration Cathedral of the Savior Transfiguration Monastery. Unfortunately, some of those four temples have not survived to this day. In 17 century a two-floor house of hegumen was built at the monastery, which became the first stone civilian building in the city.
In Soviet times a military unit was located there but in 1990 the monastery was returned to the Church. All churches were restored there, and the chapel of St. George the Victorious was built.