Ascension cathedral, the metropolitan church of Novosibirsk and Berdsk eparchy, is at the intersection of Krasny avenue and Gogol street. For a long time the cathedral was a wooden building, and the today stone building was erected several decades ago.
The city of Novo-Nikolayevsk was founded at the intersection of the Trans-Siberian Railway and the Ob river in 1893. At that time Tomsk was the largest city in the region (founded in 1604), and it was Tomsk eparchy that took the decision about the construction of the cathedral.
Ascension cathedral was laid down at the end of the 19 century, almost immediately after the foundation of Novo-Nikolayevsk, but for several decades it was a small, one-altar wooden church with a bell-tower.
During 1938-39 Ascension cathedral was used as a warehouse, and, unlike most of the other similar cases, it wasn’t pulled down and even its interior decoration remained almost intact. In 1944 the cathedral was again consecrated, and religious services were resumed.
In 1970 the complete reconstruction of the cathedral began, thanks to which it became wholly stone. The reconstruction was finished in 1988 and the Ascension cathedral acquired its today appearance.