Back

Museum of wooden architecture Kizhi in Karelia photo

The churchyard of Kizhi, the world`s famous museum of wooden architecture, is on a small island in the north of Onega Lake. You can reach it only by a ship from the city of Petrozavodsk, which is 68 kilometers from Kizhi.

Totally, there are over a thousand and five hundred islands on Onega Lake, and the Karelian chose one of them for their pagan rites (kizhat – «public merrymaking»). After the spread of the Christianity Karelian carpenters built wood churches using no nails there in the 18th century. In 1945, after a culture reserve was created on Kizhi, there were gathered a lot of wood structures, churches, houses, and mills from different regions of Russia. So, now you can get to know northern wood architecture there.

The primary monument of universal importance is rightly considered the 22-domed Church of Transfiguration of Our Savior built in 1714. There remained the four-tier iconostasis including 102 icons of 17-18 centuries painted by northern icon-painters. Nearby, in 1764 there was built the 9-domed steepled Church of Intercession of Our Lady, and in 1874 a bell tower was added to the architectural ensemble. Later, it was fenced by single log wall.

Several dozens of meters to the south there is another important monument – the Church of the Raising of Lazarus built in the 14th century. This most ancient monument of Russian reli-gious wood architecture was brought to Kizhi from a monastery near Murom. Nearby, in the south of the island, you can see some more buildings: residential dwellings of past centuries, a windmill and the Chapel of the Archangel Michael (18 century).

In the north of the island you can visit the exposition villages of Vasilyevo and Yamka, as well as country houses of the northern Pudozh region.

advertising - continued below
Photo Gallery
View All (30)
Kizhi island on lake Onega. The 18th century wooden churches of the Museum of wooden architecture are listed as a UNESCO heritage site
The Church of the Intercession Of the mother of God (1764) has 8 chapters, and the Church of the Transfiguration (1714) has 22 chapters.
View of the wooden churches and houses on island Kizhi on the Onega lake
Church of the Transfiguration on Kizhi island was built without a single nail
Church of the Intercession with bell tower and Church of the Transfiguration on Kizhi island
Every day thousands of people come to the Museum of Wooden architecture in Kizhi
The wall of the Kizhi Museum is made of stones
Chapel of the Saviour (18th century) and windmill near the village of Yamna on Kizhi island
A village garden with a Scarecrow in front of a 19th century house on Kizhi island
The domes of all wooden churches on Kizhi island were built using this technology
Residential house of a wealthy peasant Oshevnev (1870) on the island of Kizhi
Interior of a 19th century residential house on Kizhi island
Large utility rooms in a 19th century residential building on Kizhi island
Folklore ensemble in one of the houses on Kizhi island, performing in front of tourists
Domes Of the Church of the Intercession of the Mother of God on Kizhi island
Chapel of the Archangel Michael (18th century) on Kizhi island
Master class "how to knit sheaves of wheat" in the Museum of wooden architecture on Kizhi island
Riga for drying hay on Kizhi island
Such fences were built around houses in Karelia
Church of the Resurrection of Lazarus (16th century) on Kizhi island
Interior of the 16th century Russian bath in the Museum of wooden architecture on Kizhi island
A large 19th century house from one of the Karelian villages on Kizhi island
Upper room in a residential building on Kizhi island
Interior of upper room of a large apartment building on the island of Kizhi
Windmill In the Museum of wooden architecture on Kizhi island
View from the North hill to the wooden churches of Kizhi island
Houses in the village of Fossa on the island of Kizhi
The road from the village of Yamka to the pier on Kizhi island
Crystal clear water of lake Onega on Kizhi island
Wooden chapel on one of the Islands, which can be seen in the ship sailing to Kizhi