The Park Vladimir Hill is located on the high Bank of the Dnieper river near the St. Michael Golden-domed monastery. Previously, the Park was called "Hill", but in 1853, a monument to Prince Vladimir, who baptized Kievans in the waters of the river, was installed on the slope of the hill therefore the park was named “Vladimir Hill”.
In ancient times, Kiev was located on two hills. Kiev Detinets (the oldest fortress of Kiev) was located on the top of the Andreevsky mountain. According to the legend, the Apostle Andrew placed crosses on it and said that a great city would be founded here. This place was called the Town of Vladimir.
On a nearby hill, Prince Izyaslav founded the Dmitrievsky monastery, and in 1108, Prince Svyatopolk built the St. Mikhail Golden-domed monastery there. This place was called the Town of Izyaslav.
Thus, Vladimir Hill Park occupies a large part of the Town of Izyaslav. At the foot of this hill Prince Vladimir Red Sun conducted the rite of baptism of Kievans in the waters of the Dnieper. Therefore, the land around the Monument to Prince Vladimir was considered sacred. Here began the spread of the Christian religion in Russia.
Vladimir Hill Park is located on three terraces. The largest upper terrace is located on the top of the hill, on the same level with the St. Michael Golden-domed monastery. The monument to Prince Vladimir is located on the middle terrace. The lower terrace is located on the Bank of the Dnieper. In 1905, a funicular was built on the steep slope of Vladimir Hill, which connects the upper part of the Park with the Bank of the Dnieper.