There are two gate churches at the Rostov Kremlin: Resurrection Church (above the Holy Gate on the side of Assumption Cathedral) and John the Evangelist Church (above the Western Gate). If Resurrection Church was one of the first churches of the Rostov Kremlin, the latter completed its architectural ensemble.
According to the inscription on the wall of the church, the construction works were finished in 1683. The church also has two gate towers. There remained very beautiful frescoes by Yaroslavl masters in the Church of John the Evangelist.
It looks higher and more proportional than the Church of Resurrection. The Church of John the Evangelist was the chapel of the Tsar`s Mansion (the Red Chamber). The porch of the Red Chamber is near the porch of the Church of John the Evangelist.