The Motherland Calls monument is on a mound raised on the top of the Mamayev Kurgan where the most fierce combats took place in the autumn of 1942. The construction of the monument was started in 1959 and completed in 1967. For over 22 years it was the highest monument in the world.
Historians agree that the sculptor Eugene Vuchetich was inspired to create this grandiose monument by the Marseillaise of the Paris Arc de Triomphe and the Nike of Samothrace.
The sculpture is made of reinforced concrete and has a height of 85 meters without a pedestal. Without a pedestal, similar monuments are much lower. For example, the Statue of Liberty is 46 meters, and the statue of Christ in Rio de Janeiro is 38 meters.