The Church of the Transfiguration on Yar (steep bank) is on the high bank of the Trubezh, at the Cathedral Park. Formerly, this part of the city was called the Streletskaya sloboda. It was inhabited by streltsy and cossacks who defended the city from attacks.
The wooden Church of the Transfiguration on Yar was built in 1626 but was burnt in 1685. Ten years later a local landlord Ivan Verdrevsky restored it in stone for his money.
The church has the structure of a quadrangle with a refectory and a tent-roofed bell tower. Such churches first appeared in Moscow posads (trading quarters) in 17 century and then spread all over Russia. On the photos dating back to the beginning of 20 century the church had no decorations but in our time it was reconstructed and very beautifully decorated.