Epiphany Monastery of St. Anastasia is not far from Susanin Square in the center of Kostroma. It is there that the Fyodorovskaya Icon of Our Lady is kept and where many pilgrims from all over Russia come.
Epiphany Monastery was laid down in 1462 by the saint Nikita, a follower of Sergius of Radonezh, the most revered Russian saint who was buried at the Trinity Lavra of St Sergius. For a long time it was a male monastery.
The first stone building of the Epiphany Monastery of St. Anastasia, that of the Epiphany Cathedral, was erected in 1559. It was there that the Fyodorovskaya Icon of Our Lady was placed. The icon appeared in Kostroma in the thirteenth century, and although it is ascribed to the evangelist St. Luke, it might have been painted in 11 or 12 century.
Fyodorovskaya Icon of Our Lady is believed to be a miracle-making one, the patroness of brides and family. Pilgrims from all over Russia, and especially childless couples wanting a child, come to see it.
In 1863 the monastery was turned into convent and was given the name of the Epiphany Monastery of St. Anastasia. Unfortunately, the convent is almost entirely closed for visiting. You can come into the Epiphany Cathedral by way of the Bell Tower. On the precincts of the monastery there are also located the Smolensk church and several residential buildings.
Beside Epiphany Monastery of St. Anastasia there are located some other attractions of Kostroma: the Susanin Square and trading rows and the Volga River Embankment.