The building of the Episcopal Residence of the domestic church of St. Mitrophan of Voronezh is on Sobornaya (Cathedral) Square of Perm, near the metropolitan cathedral of Transfiguration now housing an art gallery.
The formation of the architectural ensemble of Sobornaya Square began in 1793 with the construction of Spaso-Preobrazhensky (Transfiguration) Monastery. There were also erected a cathedral of the same name with a high bell tower (67 meters) as well as the Church of St. Stefan of Perm.
In 1799 there was established a separate Perm eparchy and for financial restrictions the entire complex of monastery buildings was included in the metropolitan residence. Transfiguration Cathedral became the main temple of Perm.
Originally, St. Stefan of Perm Church was the domestic church of the Metropolitan Podvorye but later it was devoted to St. Mitrophan of Voronezh. In 1892 all this complex was rebuilt and acquired its today appearance.