Peter and Paul Cathedral is one of the first stone buildings of Perm near the old (now closed) railway station. It is known that Perm was founded in 1723 by Vasily Tatischev commissioned with the task to build a copper smeltery at the confluence of the Yegoshikha and Kama rivers.
The smeltery and the town grew very fast. Already in 1724 it has its own church, which was built on the site of today Peter and Paul Cathedral. However, in 1764 the church was too small for the town. So it was decided to build the big stone Cathedral of Peter and Paul in the style of Peter baroque.