A second-guild merchant Egor Shavkunov wanted to erect a two-altar church on the Sludka hill in 1842. And although the church was dedicated to the Holy Trinity, it became popularly known as the Sludskaya church. Now it is almost in the center of the city near the Communal Bridge.
As the rest of the churches, in the 30th of the past century the Sludskaya church was closed but its building was not destroyed and was used as a warehouse. After the metropolitan Trinity Cathedral on the Sobornaya Square was closed, the Sludskaya church was made the metropolitan cathedral of Perm in 1944.
The buildings around the church now called the metropolitan cathedral of the Life-giving Trinity are occupied by the administration of Perm eparchy.