The small Iveron Chapel is attached to the Resurrection Gate on the side of Manezhnaya Square. It houses a replica of the miracle-working icon of Panaghia Portaitissa. In front of the chapel you can see a zero kilometre marker of Russian roads (or icon of the Virgin Mary).
The Iveron (or Iberian) icon of the Virgin Mary is kept in the Georgian Iveron monastery on Mount Athos. Two Georgian monks had it built in 980. In the 17th century, during the reign of Tsar Alexei Mikhailovich, an exact replica of the miracle-working icon was made in the monastery and brought to Russia.
In 1680 at the Neglinnye Gate, which were later renamed Voskresenskie (Resurrection) Gate, a small chapel was built where this replica was kept. Monks of the Iveron monastery on Mount Athos served in the chapel. The chapel was often rebuilt and it received its final today appearance in 1791, when it was restored by architect Matvey Kazakov.
In 1929, the Iveron Chapel was destroyed, and in 1931 the Resurrection Gate itself was demolished. They were restored only in 1995. In the Iveron monastery on Mount Athos, again a replica of the miracle-working icon was made and it was placed in the restored Iveron Chapel.