To our days there survived many mansions of the nobility. In some of them the interior decorations were partially preserved. And only Leninskiye Gorki remained intact since the beginning of 20 century. There were preserved not only interior decorations but also all furniture. Now you can see how it looked in the time of Zinaida Morozova.
Up to 1921 Lenin and Krupskaya always stayed in the northern fligel (outhouse). But after the first insult doctors prescribed him to move to the main house, which was more suitable for his then health condition. But moving to the main house Lenin asked to change nothing for him there. They only took down several portraits in some halls and put screens in the room of Lenin. After the death of Lenin in 1924 the family of his brother Dmitry Ulyanov lived in the main house to 1949 when it was turned into a museum. This made it possible to change absolutely nothing in the main house.
There are state rooms, a big library, and a sitting-room on the ground floor of the main house. A huge winter garden produces a special impression. It has a refined interior featuring a great number of antique sculptures, pictures, beautiful furniture and panoramic glazing. At the winter garden there was installed a special heating system making it possible for flowers and plants to blossom all round the year.
The rooms of Lenin, Krupskaya and his sisters were on the first floor of the main house. The room of Lenin is now the same as it was on the day of his death. The bed where he died is behind a screen. A calendar is on the wall. Lenin himself tore a leaf off the calendar every day. The last leaf of the calendar is the date of his death, January 21, 1924. A death mask is on the table. It was made just after the death of Lenin.
A large household yard with a water tower is near the main house. In the garage you must have a look at a very curious exhibit, a Rolls Royce converted in an all terrain vehicle with skis by the workers of Putilovsky plant. Lenin actively used it. The vehicle run on alcohol (40 litres for 100 km). It is still in working order.
Previously, the southern fligel (outhouse) was a kitchen connected to the main house by a subterranean passage. The passage was used to bring food from the kitchen to the dining room of the main house. Today it houses the museum of billiards.