Back

Murom travel attractions

The small city of Murom located on the steep bank of the Oka in Vladimir Region doesn’t belong to the cities of the Golden Ring, but is rightly worth visiting. Murom was founded in 862, so it can be referred to the most ancient cities of Russia.

There are three ancient monasteries in the center of the city: Trinity Convent, the Monastery of the Transfiguration of the Savior and Annunciation Monastery. The Monastery of the Transfiguration of the Savior is considered to be one of the most ancient ones in Russia, as it was mentioned in the chronicles of the 11th century.

However, most Russian people go to Murom in order to visit Trinity Convent and give a bow to the relics of the saints Peter and Fevronia. In Russia they became the patrons of family and marriage, and the day of July, 8th is the official Day of the Beloved. Unfortunately, so far this holiday isn’t as popular as St. Valentine`s Day, but maybe everything is ahead.

Oka Park is near the river, where one can see a big statue of Ilya Muromets. As is known, the Russian bogatyr (hero) was born in the village Karacharovo, which is on the outskirts of Murom. Although the bogatyr is generally referred to Russian epos, historians believe it was quite a real personality. At the end of his life Ilya became a monk of Kiev-Pechersk Lavra and died in 1198, and was sanctified as the venerable Ilya Muromets by Russian Orthodox Church in 1643. Today one can see his relics in the near caves of the monastery.

According to modern investigations of orthopedists, the lower extremities of Ilya Muromets of Kiev-Pechersk Lavra have been inactive because of some birth injury for a long period of time. Then the injury was healed, and Ilya could move. This confirms the story of Russian epos.

advertising - continued below
Photo Gallery
View All (19)
Oka Park in the city of Murom is located on a high bank, where the Murom Kremlin used to be
Monument to Ilya Muromets in Oka Park, which became a symbol of the city
Trinity Cathedral at the St. Trinity Convent of Murom
The main holy thing of the St. Trinity Convent is the undecayed relics of the Sts Peter and Febronia, Russian patrons of love and marriage
The water tower was built in Murom in 1863. water supply appeared here earlier than in other cities of the Vladimir province
Cathedral of the Transfiguration and the Intercession Church in the Saviour Transfiguration monastery of Murom
Territory of the Transfiguration monastery in Murom
Murom Kremlin of the 16th century, reconstruction of N. Bespalov
On the site of the current Oka Park in the 19th century, the Nativity Cathedral was located, which was blown up in 1939
Observation deck over the Oka river in Oksky Park in Murom
The Cathedral of the Annunciation in the Annunciation monastery in Murom
Monument to saints Peter and Fevronia in front of the Annunciation monastery in Murom
Holy gates of the Annunciation monastery in Murom
Trinity Cathedral (1642) is the main church of the St. Trinity Convent of Murom
Precinct of the St. Trinity Convent of Murom
The wooden Church of St. Sergius of Radonezh (18th century) was brought to the Trinity monastery of Murom from the Vladimir province
Church of the Intercession in the Holy Transfiguration monastery in Murom
Farming in the Spaso-Preobrazhensky monastery of the city of Murom
Monument to the city head of Murom, who in 1863 built a water supply in the city