The Brandenburg Gate is one of seven surviving gates in Kaliningrad, the former Königsberg. The gate was built in 1657 and is still used for the intended purpose. But it performs only a decorative function, as there remained no ramparts in the city.
The Brandenburg Gate was included in the fortifications of the historical district of Haberberg located to the south from the Pregel river. This road led from Königsberg (Kaliningrad) to the castle of Brandenburg, which gave its name to the gate.
The Brandenburg Gate was rebuilt under King Frederick II. On the place of the former gate there appeared a massive brick structure with two passages surmounted by pointed Gothic arches.
Formerly casemates were attached to the gate. They were occupied by a garrison of guardsmen. The Brandenburg Gate was further enlarged in 1843. The arches were decorated by ornaments and sculptural portraits. Today the Brandenburg Gate is an architectural monument in the south of Kaliningrad.