According to one of the well-known Russian art historians, the Church of Intercession on the Nerl, near Vladimir, is not only the most perfect temple ever built in the ancient Rus, but also one of the monuments of the world art.
Probably, the view of the church is known by everyone who studied in a Russian school, as its pictures are in all history textbooks. The one-dome Church of Intercession on the Nerl has a small size. It was built in 1158 by Andrei the God-Loving, in the memory of his killed son Iziaslav.
On the walls of the Church of Intercession on the Nerl, as at Dmitrievsky Cathedral, there are bas reliefs of mythical animals and plants. In the center of compositions one can see bas-reliefs of King David singing psalms.
From Bogolyubovsky Monastery one can get to the Church of Intercession on the Nerl by way of Bogolyubovsky Meadow. From the monastery one should go down to the railway, and via the passage go up to the Bogolyubovsky Meadow, which is also a UNESCO World Heritage site. Then one will have to go over it for about 3 kilometers to get to the church.