Dmitrievsky Cathedral (Demetrius Cathedral) was built in 1194, 5 years after the complete reconstruction and expansion of the Assumption Cathedral - the main temple of Vladimir. Both cathedrals are located in close proximity to each other.
In the 12th century, "a hundred meters" from the Assumption Cathedral, the palace complex of Prince Vsevolod the Big Nest was located, which has not survived to this day. He decided to build the Dmitrievsky Cathedral as a court temple of his residence.
Dmitrievsky Cathedral (sometimes called Dmitrovsky Cathedral) was built in the period 1194-1197, and consecrated in honor of the heavenly patron Prince Vsevolod the Great Nest of Dmitry Solunsky.
The single-domed temple was built in the traditions of the Vladimir-Suzdal architectural school (closely related to the Byzantine one). Previously, he had several galleries that connected him with the princely palace. During the restoration in 1837, all these galleries were dismantled, since other buildings of the palace have not been preserved to this day.
Dmitrievsky Cathedral, like other monuments of Vladimir, was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1992. Moreover, the Dmitrievsky Cathedral itself is known for its stone carvings on its walls.
On the surface of the walls of the Dmitrievsky Cathedral, ancient masters created more than 566 bas-reliefs. Mythical animals, various plants, and saints are depicted here. In the central part there is a bas-relief of the biblical king David singing psalms. The plot with King David symbolizes the greatness of Prince Vsevolod the Big Nest.