Back

Bogolyubsky Convent in Vladimir

You should visit the small village Bogolyubovo, which is in the immediate vicinity of Vladimir (13 km). It is on the place of the residence of the influential prince Andrey Bogolyubsky (Andrei the God-Loving). And later, the Svyato-Bogolyubsky Convent, one of the most ancient monasteries in Russia, was founded there.

Now the Bogolyubsky Convent is on the territory of the ancient stone palace of the Grand Duke Andrey Bogolyubsky, and the place wasn’t chosen by chance. In 1158 Andrey Bogolyubsky was carrying a Byzantine icon from Kiev, the one, which was consequently called the Icon of Our Lady of Vladimir. On the way to Suzdal the horses stopped and wouldn`t budge. And so was chosen the place for the convent where the Icon of Our Lady of Vladimir was stored. Later the icon was moved to the Assumption Cathedral of Vladimir.

For that time stone buildings were a rare thing, but by the end of the 12 century the Grand Duchy of Vladimir was at the peak of its development in the period of feudal division and the stone buildings had to stress its position.

The Nativity of Our Lady Cathedral is the oldest church of the convent. The cathedral acquired its today appearance in 1751. However, one can see the older masonry in the foundation of the cathedral. So it is the same cathedral, which was commissioned by Andrey Bogolyubsky in 1158. It was on the stair of this cathedral, which remained intact to our days, that Andrey Bogolyubsky was assassinated by the Kuchkovskys boyars in 1174.

The other buildings of the convent, including the Bogolyubsky Cathedral with a bell tower, appeared only in the 19 century. After a tour of the convent itself you should go down to the lake. From the lake one can have a wonderful view of the convent.

And at the railway station begins the path running through the picturesque Bogolyubsky meadow. It was there that the popular assemblies were held during 12-13 centuries. About half a kilometers from the meadow there was built a skit, which is now known as the Church of the Intercession on the Nerl. 

Photo Gallery
View All (14)
The Svyato-Bogolyubsky Monastery was founded in 1155. It is one of the oldest monasteries in Russia.
The Nativity of Our Lady Church (1158) and the remains of the chambers of Andrey Bogolyubsky (Andrei the God-Loving) (below the bell tower)
The place under the stairs in the Bogolyubsky Chambers, in the Bogolyubsky Monastery, where Prince Andrey Bogolyubsky was killed in 1174
Chapel near the wall of the Bogolyubovsky monastery on the site where the body of Andrei Bogolyubsky lay 5 days after the murder in 1174
Reconstruction of the Palace of Andrei Bogolyubsky of the 12th century. Buildings that have survived to this day are marked in red
Reconstruction of Bogolyubovo of the 12th century, the residence of Prince Andrey Bogolyubsky, on the site of the Bogolyubsky monastery
Masonry of the 12th century, preserved from the Chambers of Andrei Bogolyubsky in the Bogolyubovsky Monastery
The foundation in the Church of the Nativity of the Virgin in the Bogolyubovsky monastery, where the foundations of the Chambers of the 12th century are preserved
The frescoes in the Church of the Nativity of the Virgin were made in 1891 by the iconographer from the village of Palekh Lev Parilov
The Bogolyubsky Monastery is clearly visible from the Bogolyubsky meadow
The Our Lady of Bogolyubovo Icon Cathedral and a bell tower
Small pavilion-chapel and Nativity Cathedral in Bogolyubovsky Monastery
The chancel of the Our Lady of Bogolyubovo Icon Cathedral
The residential quarters and kitchen gardens of the monastery