Back

Museum complex Palaty (Chambers) in Vladimir photo

Museum complex «Palaty» (Chambers) is located in a long 3-floor building is between two old cathedrals, those of Assumption and St. Dmitry, at Lipki Park in the very center of Vladimir. The classic style building with columns was erected in 1785.

For two centuries the building was occupied by local public offices. The last officials left the building only at the end of the 90th of the past century and it was given to the museum. The rooms of the ground floor were given to the children museum center. Vladimir picture gallery is on the first floor. There you can see the most valuable collection of icons and frescoes, as well as the pictures of many famous Russian painters.

The original frescoes of Vladimir Assumption Cathedral are at least as valuable. The oldest surviving fresco, «The Bloomed Cross», dates back to 1161. Another fresco, «Prophets», was painted a bit later, in 1185. For the past centuries the cathedral was repeatedly ruined and burnt, so the preservation of such old frescoes is very important. The museum has also some frescoes by Andrei Rublev and Daniel Chorny.

The Icon of Mother of God of St. Maximus is the oldest item of the collection. It was commissioned by the metropolitan of Kiev in 1299. Formerly, the icon hang above the tomb of Maximus at the Assumption Cathedral. There remained few such old icons in Russia.

The Icon of the Mother of God of Vladimir by Andrei Rublev (15 century) is also stored at the museum. It is the earliest copy of the icon brought from Constantinople in 1130. The original of this icon is stored at the State Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow. However, the copy by Rublev is also of great value. And the third most important icon is «The Virgin of Kykkos» by the famous icon painter Simon Ushakov. It was painted in 1675. The name of the icon derived from Kykkos Monastery in Cyprus.

You can see the pictures of many famous Russian painters in the numerous rooms of the museum. You can see there the portraits of Argunov, Rokotov and Tropinin (18 century) and the canvases of Perov, Re-pin, Vasnetsov, Savrasov, Serov, Korovin, Aivazovsky and many other painters of 19 century. Several rooms of the museum are devoted to the painters and sculptors of 20 century.

Photo Gallery
View All (22)
The art gallery of Vladimir is located in a long building near the Assumption Cathedral
The entrance to the Vladimir Art Gallery is located in the center of a large building
The Icon of the Mother of God of St. Maximus (12 century), the Icon of the Mother of God of Vladimir (14 century) and the Icon of the Mother of God of Kykkos (1675)
The copy of the Icon of the Mother of God of Vladimir made by Andrei Rublev at the beginning of 15 century at the art gallery of Vladimir
The fresco «Martyr Zosimus» painted by Andrei Rublev in 1408 in the Assumption Cathedral at the art gallery of Vladimir
The frescoes «Trsaritsa Helen» and «The Descent of the Holy Spirit» painted by Andrei Rublev and Daniel Chorny in the Assumption Cathedral in 1408 
«The Blossomed Cross», one of the first surviving frescoes (1161) of the Assumption Cathedral at the art gallery of Vladimir
«Prophets», one of the first surviving frescoes (1161) of the Assumption Cathedral at the art gallery of Vladimir
Eighteenth-century portrait painting at the art gallery of Vladimir
The picture «The Ruins of a Greek Temple at Sunset» (1867) by A. Zhizhilenko at the art gallery of Vladimir
The picture «In the Roads» (1874) by I. Aivazovsky at the art gallery of Vladimir
The picture «A Landing in Feodosiya» (1850) by I. Aivazovsky at the art gallery of Vladimir
The picture «A Spring Day» (1873) by A. Savrasov at the art gallery of Vladimir
The picture «After Prince Igor`s Battle With the Polovtsy» (1855) by V. Vasnetsov at the art gallery of Vladimir
The picture «A Wooden Church at the River» (1913) by D. Marten at the art gallery of Vladimir
The picture «A Village. Sunset» (1917) by A. Shilder at the art gallery of Vladimir
The picture «The Street of a Provincial Town» (1920) by K. Gorbatov at the art gallery of Vladimir
The art of 20 century at the art gallery of Vladimir
The picture «Sun in Suzdal» (1979) by K. Britov at the art gallery of Vladimir 
The exposition of the interiors of the estates of the nobility at the art gallery of Vladimir
The exposition of the interiors of the estates of the nobility at the art gallery of Vladimir
The exposition of the interiors of the estates of the nobility at the art gallery of Vladimir