Riddarholmen island is often referred to as "The island of the Noble" or "Knight`s island". It is much smaller than Gamla Stan island and is separated from it by a narrow channel. For centuries, representatives of the wealthiest families in Sweden have lived on this island.

In the 13th century, a Franciscan monastery was founded on the island of Riddarholmen, and occupied a significant part of it. In 1527, king Gustav Vasa ordered its destruction as part of the Reformation and the spread of Protestantism in Sweden. From the monastic buildings remained only the Church of Riddarholmen, which served as the burial place for Swedish monarchs.

There are no more residential buildings on Riddarholmen island. The last resident moved from this island to other areas in 2010, and now most of the buildings (there are exactly 16 on the island) belong to the Swedish judicial system.

In the center of Riddarholmen at the walls of the Church is a large square Jarl Birger. In the center of the square is a monument to the famous ruler of Sweden in the 13th century. He founded Stockholm, and under his rule Sweden became one of the most powerful state in Northern Europe. At first, he was an adviser to king Eric 11, but then he was able to confirm his son on the throne, becoming his Regent.

From the lake Mälaren side on the island of Riddarholmen is a very broad waterfront Evert Toba. Here is the famous white Tower of Birger Jarl, built in 1530 by king Gustav Vasa. It was originally a Cannon tower of the fortress wall. On the embankment there is an interesting sculpture Solbaten, similar to a sail or shell.

Other buildings on Riddarholmen Island include the Gymnasium (19th century), Sapreska Palace, Wrangel Palace, Stenbock Palace, Roshen Palace, Hesenshuik Palace, and Leuven Villa. All noble palaces were built on the island in the 17th century.

On the site of the main building of Franciscan monastery, the Parliament building was built in the 18th century. In its basements, the premises of the Franciscan monastery of the 13th-14th centuries are preserved, and you can walk along the roofs with a tour. The four-chamber Riksdag of Sweden worked here until 1905, when a new building was built for it on the island of Helgeandsholmen.